Hubble Telescope - hubbletelescope.livejournal.com
GOES - goes-sat.livejournal.com
Mars - marstheredplane.livejournal.com
Spirit - spiritrover.livejournal.com
Opportunity - opportunitygrrl.livejournal.com
Mars Beagle - mars-beagle.livejournal.com
Lavochkin M-71 - mars3.livejournal.com
Stardust - star-dusting.livejournal.com
Friday, March 31, 2006
Monday, March 27, 2006
1. I took official "ownership" (re: the maintenance) of a new website today. It's for a couple of friends of mine who look for asteroids that could impact the earth. Check them out:
It's still the old design, but soon it will look better (I hope).
2. "Dawn" is reinstated.
NASA today announced that the Dawn mission to the asteroids Vest and Ceres is back on. This is good news: Dawn's an important mission to study these solar system bodies. Much too important to cut the mission. We can learn so much by space exploration, but the silly politicians always have to ruin things.
Space is - to quote Star Trek - "the Final Frontier" and we need to do whatever it takes to gather data on everything out there, and to do everything possible (and conceiveable) to expand the presence of the human race to the stars.
Sunday, March 26, 2006
1. Under no circumstances may you watch brokeback mountain.
2. Under no circumstances may two men share an umbrella.
3. Any man who brings a camera to a bachelor party may be legally killed and eaten by his fellow partygoers.
4. When you are queried by a buddy's wife, girlfriend, mother, father, priest, shrink, dentist, accountant, or dog walker, you need not and should not provide any useful information whatsoever as to his whereabouts. You are permitted to deny his very existence.
5. Unless he murdered someone in your immediate family, you must bail a friend out of jail within 12 hours.
6. You may exaggerate any anecdote told in a bar by 50 percent without recrimination; beyond that, anyone within earshot is allowed to call B.S. (Exception: When trying to pick up a woman, the allowable exaggeration rate rises to 400 percent.)
7. If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off-limits forever.
8. The minimum amount of time you have to wait for another guy who's running late is five minutes. For a woman, you are required to wait 10 minutes for every point of hotness she scores on the classic 1-10 scale.
9. Bitching about the brand of free beer in a buddy's refrigerator is forbidden. You may gripe if the temperature is unsuitable.
10. No man is ever required to buy a birthday present for another man. In fact, even remembering a friend's birthday is strictly optional.
11. Agreeing to distract the ugly friend of a hot babe your buddy is trying to hook up with is your legal duty. Should you get carried away with your good deed and end up together, your pal is forbidden to speak of it, even at your bachelor party.
12. Before dating a buddy's ex, you are required to ask his permission and he, in return, is required to grant it.
13. Women who claim they "love to watch sports" must be treated as spies until they demonstrate knowledge of the game and the ability to pick a buffalo wing clean.
14. If a man's zipper is down, that's his problem --- you didn't see nothin'.
15. The universal compensation for buddies who help you move is beer.
16. A man must never own a cat or like his girlfriend's cat.
17. Your girlfriend must bond with your buddy's girlfriends within 30 minutes of meeting them. You are not required to make nice with her gal pal's significant others --- low-level sports bonding is all the law requires.
18. When stumbling upon other guys watching a sports event, you may always ask the score of the game in progress, but you may never ask who's playing.
19. When your girlfriend/wife expresses a desire to fix her whiny friend up with your pal, you may give her the go-ahead only if you'll be able to warn your buddy and give him time prepare excuses about joining the priesthood.
20. It is permissible to consume a fruity drink only when you're sunning on a tropical beach...and it's delivered by a topless supermodel...and it's free.
21. Unless you're in prison, never fight naked.
22 A man in the company of a hot, suggestively dressed woman must remain sober enough to fight.
23. If a buddy is outnumbered, outmanned, or too drunk to fight, you must jump into the fight. Exception: If within the last 24 hours his actions have caused you to think, "What this guy needs is a good ass-whoopin'." Then you may sit back and enjoy.
24. Never hesitate to reach for the last beer or the last slice of pizza, but not both. That's just plain mean.
25. If you compliment a guy on his six-pack, you better be referring to his beer.
26. Never talk to a man in the bathroom.
27. If a buddy is already singing along to a song in the car, you may not join him.
28. Before allowing a drunken friend to cheat on his girl, you must attempt one intervention. If he is able to get on his feet, look you in the eye, and deliver a "leave me alone!" you are absolved of your responsibility.
29. Never join your girlfriend or wife in ragging on a buddy of yours, unless she is withholding sex, pending your response.
30. Phrases that may never be uttered to another man while lifting weights:
* "Yeah, baby, push it!"
* "Come on, give me one more, harder!"
* "Another set and we can hit the showers"
* "Nice ass! Are you a Sagittarius?"
31. Never talk to another man in the bathroom caveat: Unless you are on equal footing and both waiting in line. For all other situations an "I recognize you" nod will do just fine.
32. You can not rat out a friend who show's up to work or class with a massive hangover, however you may: hide the aspirin, smear his chair with limburger cheese, turn the brightness on his computer way up so he thinks its broken, or have him paged every seven minutes.
33. If you catch your girl messing around with your best friend, let your states crime of passion laws be your guide.
34. If your buddy is trying to hook up with a girl, you may sabotage him only in a manor that gives you no chances of getting any either.
35. If a buddy has lint, an eyelash, or any other foreign object on his hair or face, under no circumstances are you permitted to remove it. However an appropriate hand gesture may be made to make him aware of it.
36. An anniversary is recognized on a yearly basis, under no circumstances will anything be celebrated in an interval other than a year
37. When coming to a room which you know is occupied by your friend and possibly another girl, you must knock and wait for an adequate response. If no response occurs, and the door is locked, a 10 minute period is required before knocking again.
38. A man’s gotta scratch what a man’s gotta scratch. This applies to picking as well. Let the man be.
39. No man shall ever watch any of the following programs on TV:
* Figure skating
* Men's gymnastics
* Any sport involving women (unless viewed for sexual purposes)
40. If you accidentally touch or brush against any part of another man below the waist, it is an understood accident, and NO apologies or any reference to the occurrence is necessary. Ever!
41. No man shall spend more than 2 minutes in front of a mirror. If more time is required, a three minute waiting period must be allowed before returning to the mirror.
42. Any dispute lasting any longer than 3 minutes will and must be settled by rock, paper, scissors. There is no argument too important for this determining method.
43. Only acceptable times when a man is allowed to cry:
* When a heroic dog dies to save his master.
* After being struck in the testicles with anything moving fast than 7 mph.
* When your date is using her teeth.
44. If a bet is made, and the challenge is completed, then the bettor may recoup his money by immediately completing a more daring challenge. If he refuses the challenge or chooses not to propose one, then and only then, must the money be paid.
45. If a hot girl shall happen to pass by while you are in an arms reach of your buddy, you must, and will, tap him on the shoulder to make him aware of the babe.
46. No comment shall ever be made to a man about how much he is sweating. In fact, there is no need bring notice to any body part which he may be sweating from.
47. You have not made any mistake if you find that there are extra pieces after reassembling or assembling an object. In fact, you have just found a way to make that object more efficient.
48. Any object thrown with reasonable speed and accuracy, MUST be caught.
49. No man shall ever keep track of, or count, the amount of beers he has had in a night.
50. Under no circumstances may two non-related men share a bed or anything which can be perceived as a mattress.
51. In an empty room, car, ect., a man can not ask another man if he is mad because he isn’t talking.
52. If you jiggle more than twice, you’re playing with it.
53. A man shall never help another man apply sun tan oil.
54. The guy who wants something the most is responsible for getting it.
55. If your friend says "Lick my nuts" or "Kiss my ass" as a way to put you down, don't try to be funny by saying "OK" and moving your head towards his crotch, two homosexual references in a row are just plain scary...
56. If you say ouch, you are a wimp!
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Just a short rant here.
Why can't people learn to pronounce things correctly. Especially when they are supposedly learned individuals.
I was listening to a radio program just a while ago, and the speaker constantly mispronounced words. And not even consistently. Once time they would pronounce it correctly, and then a few minutes later - incorrectly. This, I believe, is bad form for someone who hypothetically knows what they are doing, and is trying to impart knowledge.
People! Please take the time to check and make sure you know what you are saying. You might be completely familiar with the content of what you are talking about, but perhaps not the pronunciation. Take five minutes and learn something before opening your mouth on a worldwide stage.
Sorry to rant, this is just a pet peeve of mine. I guess it harkens back to the days in grammar school when I was winning spelling bees left and right.
Thursday, March 23, 2006
Monday, March 20, 2006
When a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of love..
(And then he kills himself when he realizes he'll never have it
Check out the Bad Astronomer's blog, where he explains that you can set eggs up any day.
Current Meterological Conditions
Temp: 42.6 F.
Wind: NE @ 5mph
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Friday, March 17, 2006
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
NASA announced today July 1 to 19, 2006, is the new launch planning window for Space Shuttle Discovery's mission (STS-121). The window gives the agency time to do additional engineering work and analysis to ensure a safe flight for Discovery and its crew.
Read more about it at the NASA Shuttle site.
Monday, March 13, 2006
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Looks like the book I submitted photographs to won't be out until the end of May now. Heck, it was supposed to be out last August! Why are they pushing it back all the time? I know not even the author can understand why.
And I thought it was a good, reputable publisher.
Friday, March 10, 2006
You can find more about the mission here.
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Sunday, March 05, 2006
I hadn’t been feeling good for a few days anyways, just from the stress of having to shoot this wedding. I mean, I don’t want to screw it up, but I haven’t done a wedding in years/decades, and am nervous.
So I get up around 7am to get ready, doing the usual: shower, shave, etc. Put on some good clothes, gather my gear, and I’m off to the church. Arriving a little after 8am. I thought I was going to get the evil looks for being 5 minutes late, but not even the bride or groom where there yet!! So I put my stuff out of site and start thinking about how I'm going to shoot certain things.
Oh yeah - the wedding was at 10am. And I had to be there to shoot stuff beforehand.
Suddenly I realize that I left one of my lenses at home. Not usually a big deal, but this was the one the cross-screen filter fit. And I needed that filter for the unity candle and the rings later. So I had to drive like a maniac down the highway to get the lens. It took about a half-hour, and by the time I got back, the bride had finally arrived.
I’ll skip the details of the ceremony, as it was just a wedding ceremony. Everyone’s filed out of the place to the receiving line, and we’re setting up the lighting units (I was able to drag a friend of mine out of retirement as well to help with the shoot). Now, since the reception was just next door, the wedding party is back in shortly and making life really hard on us as they are rushing the shoot. That ticks us off, as you can’t rush formal portraits if you want them to look good. But we did the best that we could, and I just hope things turned out okay.
We get done, and they just go right next door to the reception, barely giving me enough time to switch lenses to catch the “entrance of the couple.” What is with this “hurry up” stuff? They (the wedding party) were making noises like “people are waiting for us at the reception...” Well, that’s what they are supposed to do. I’ll bet 99% of the people there are well aware of how long it takes photographers.
Suffice it to say it was a typical wedding reception. Well, maybe not typical, as there was no alcohol allowed, and there was no dancing (Baptist church).
And another thing: this wedding wasn’t in the “church” but in a “multi-purpose room.” And in the basement of this church, there was a “Saturday meeting” going on, and WE couldn’t make any noise upstairs at the wedding, in case we disturbed the people downstairs. What?!? Since when is a regular Saturday dealio more important than a wedding? We even had to whisper in certain areas of the upstairs, and I couldn’t take flash photos “in case the flash was visible downstairs and we disturbed them.” What a bunch of crap. But I was able to work around it. I’m just glad that it’s over, and I won’t have to go back there.
Or do another wedding. I’m back into retirement as far as weddings go. No amount of money (well, I guess it depends) will make me do another one. I’ll stick with the portraits and such. It’s much easier, less stress, and actually more lucrative.
Saturday, March 04, 2006
First wedding I've shot in years. I think it worked out fine. But I know one thing...
I'm really tired and sore. I haven't done that much standing and walking at one time in months.
And - hee hee - my hand's cramped up from holding the camera nearly nonestop for 6 hours.
Thursday, March 02, 2006
And it's thanks to a local store and their "one hour photo" idiots.
Last night I had done a test shoot with some new strobes for a wedding that I have to shoot this weekend. For a model I used a girl I know: went over to her house, set up the lights, etc.
So today I get the pictures back, and there's this 1/4 inch faded black stripe down the center of each image. What!?!?! That's all I need!! Two days from a wedding, and my main camera is broke! And I don't have a backup, since it's down for repair as well. I've got to check this out.
So I jump in the car and race downtown to the local pro lab, and roll out the negatives in the big light table. Under magnification, I can't see anything on the negatives. I ask Sasha – one of the people down there – to take a look, and she can’t see anything either. She goes and calls one of the techs down to look. While we’re waiting, Kevin comes out of the back and looks, but he can’t see anything. So what’s going on?
The lab tech arrives, and she takes the negatives upstairs and scans them in quick and prints off a couple of shots. In about 15 minutes she comes downstairs, and shows me their images.
Whew!!! Relieve sets in!! It’s nothing on the negatives – it’s the fault of the one-hour idiots. See, if you’ve ever taken your prints to a one-hour place, you will see black data on the back. It’s the codes for that picture, in case you need to have another copy made. Well, these idiots here have something wrong with the machine, and it bleeds through the whole picture, so it’s visible in the front – causing me MUCH stress as I thought my camera was broke.
But it’s not, and I can shoot this wedding on Saturday. More on that later. I need to go de-stress somehow. I could use a hug. Anyone? Anyone?
And I just found this out by turning the channel to it!! And there's only 5 minutes left!
Rats!!! Rats!!! Grr!!! Arghh!!!
They asked him what his favorite scores were. He said two tracks/areas...
Ending from CE3K
Bicycles over the moon from ET.
Why oh why didn't I check the TV sooner??!!!
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
In giving something up for Lent, I find I actually can't give up Lent. So I'm giving up Candy.
And Lisa. Stephanie. Julie. Christie. Jamie. Kathy. Kate. Wendy. Lori. Laura. Brandy. Mindy. Samantha. Sarah. Patty. Sara. Diana. Elizabeth. Marcie. Holly. Melanie.